It is with immense sadness that the Multi-Scale Systems Engineering Laboratory must inform you that Professor Christodoulos A. Floudas, Director of the Texas A&M Energy Institute and Erle Nye ’59 Chair Professor for Engineering Excellence, passed away on August 14th, 2016 at age 56 while on vacation with his family in Greece. His brilliant leadership, vision, and enthusiasm will be greatly missed by the current members and alumni of his research group, as well as the Chemical Engineering and Process Systems Engineering communities as a whole. For more information on the career of Professor Floudas, and the impact he had on the communities where he worked, please see these pieces from the Texas A&M Energy Institute, Princeton University, and the Bryan-College Station Eagle.
Professor Floudas was recently honored through a memorial article written by his former PhD student, Professor Ruth Misener. The article was written for the SIAM Activity Group on Optimization and highlights Professor Floudas' tremendous impact to the field of global optimization and inspiring leadership as an advisor.
For the foreseeable future, this website will continue to be maintained by Professor Floudas’ graduate students. This will include new publications of Professor Floudas, and other news related to his research group. We hope that through this website you become aware of the tremendous impact and legacy Professor Floudas leaves behind.
Brief Description of the Lab
The Multi-scale Systems Engineering Laboratory (MSEL) is part of the Texas A&M Energy Institute and it is located in the Engineering Research Building (3rd Floor) and the Jack E. Brown Building, Artie McFerrin Department of Chemical Engineering (Rooms 341, 304, 332, and 335) at Texas A&M University. The teaching activities include lectures in Mixed-Integer Non-Linear Optimization and Deterministic Global Optimization.
The research activities focus on five main areas:
- Product and Process Design, Synthesis and Discovery
- Product and Process Operations: Scheduling
- Discrete-Continuous Nonlinear Optimization
- Deterministic Global Optimization
- Bioinformatics and Computational Biology
Click here for a description of the computing facilities.
Christodoulos A. Floudas
Director, Texas A&M Energy Institute,
Erle Nye '59 Chair Professor for Engineering Excellence
Texas A&M University
Stephen C. Macaleer '63 Professor in Engineering and Applied Science, Emeritus
Professor of Chemical and Biological Engineering, Emeritus
302D Williams Administration Bldg
3372 Texas A&M University
College Station, TX 77843-3372
- A perspective article by Professor Christodoulos A. Floudas and doctoral students Alexander M. Niziolek, Onur Onel, and Logan R. Matthews, was the most accessed AIChE Journal article of 2016. Their article, "Multi-Scale Systems Engineering for Energy and the Environment: Challenges and Opportunities", appeared on the cover of the March 2016 issue of the AIChE journal.
- Professor Floudas was recently honored through a memorial article written by his former PhD student, Professor Ruth Misener. The article was written for the SIAM Activity Group on Optimization and highlights Professor Floudas' tremendous impact to the field of global optimization and inspiring leadership as an advisor.
- Graduate student Burcu Beykal received a "Best Oral Presentation" award for her talk on "Global Optimization of Constrained Grey-Box Models for Well Injection and Production" at the inaugural Texas A&M Conference on Energy. More information about the conference can be found here.
- Graduate students Yannis A. Guzman and Melis Onel both received awards at the recent CHeGSA Chemical Engineering Symposium at Texas A&M University. Yannis received a "Best Oral Presentation" award for his talk on "Deterministic Optimization Under Uncertainty via Probabilistic Robust Optimization and A Priori Bounds", and Melis received a "Best Poster Presentation" award for her research on "A Novel Type-2 Diabetes Drug Design: Elucidating the GLP1R Recognition by GLP1".
- Professor Christodoulos A. Floudas and doctoral students Alexander M. Niziolek, Onur Onel, and Logan R. Matthews have a featured Perspective article in the March issue of the AIChE Journal. Their article, "Multi-Scale Systems Engineering for Energy and the Environment: Challenges and Opportunities", is on the cover of the AIChE Journal and has been highlighted on the Texas A&M University Dwight Look College of Engineering and Artie McFerrin Department of Chemical Engineering homepages in a news article.
- More stories…